Philip Scotties fall to White River Tigers 8-32

Too fast and too big of a hole ... Starting from his own end zone, this Tiger got by the closest Scotties to run 97 yards for the final touchdown of the game.

The football game at Philip on Friday, September 28, was the last regular season home game. It was Parents' Night. It was the Homecoming game. It was also a loss for the Scotties.

The White River Tigers hit the scoreboard first, but were matched by Philip during the first quarter. The rest of the game was theirs, though, with a final score of 8-32.

Philip racked up 28 first downs and five fumble recoveries, but just could not benefit from them to get on the scoreboard.

Philip 8 0 0 0 = 8

White River 8 12 6 6 = 32

The Scotties tried to halt an initial series of White River first downs, but five minutes into the game, the Tigers pushed past the goal line. The extra point conversion put the score at 0-8.

Philip received a weird-bouncing kick that was finally stopped on their own two yard line. Not gaining enough ground, Philip punted to put White River on the other side of the field. With four minutes left in the first quarter, the Scotties recovered a W.R. fumble to take possession on the 24 yard line. The following Philip drive ended with an Allen Hauk touchdown and a Hauk conversion run that tied the score 8-8. The quarter ended with a double fumble play; Philip lost the ball to W.R., then forced W.R. to drop it for a Scottie recovery.

Half way through the second quarter, and again with less than a minute remaining in the half, White River made two touchdowns with no extra points. The half ended 8-20.

The third quarter had only two minutes remaining, when Philip's Hauk scrambled from an impending sack. His quickly rifled pass was deflected and wobbled into the hands of a Tiger who ran it in for a touchdown. Philip again stopped the extra point attempt, but the score rose to 8-26.

The fourth quarter was a continual Scottie threat of scoring; threat, but no actuality. Philip drove hard. The ball was fumbled and Philip recovered within 10 yards of the goal. They drilled it up to the two, but were stopped. The Scotties were caught in a sweep in which White River ran the ball the length of the field for a decimating touchdown. Philip again stopped the extra point attempt and the score was 8-32.

All energy was gone from both teams and no real threat of another touchdown presented itself through to the final whistle.

The Scottie defense was spread out among various players, with some leading the statistics. Hauk contributed four solo tackles, six assists, one interception and three fumble recoveries. Karch Foley earned two solos and eight assists. Mick Trask claimed two solos and seven assists. Andrew Brech donated two solos, three assists and two fumble recoveries. Tate Guptill claimed one solo and six assists.

The four top rushers for the Scotties were Brech with 19 carries to gain 105 yards, Foley with 13 carries to gain 62 yards, Hauk with 10 carries for 31 yards and Jordan Smith with 10 carries for 24 yards. The Philip passing game was consistently frustrated with 20 pass attempts and only four completions for 35 total yards gained and one interception.

The next game for the Philip Scotties will be at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, October 5, in Lyman against the Raiders.